Published on 10 April 2017, revised on 12 April 2017 … added a new footnote 17
- Swedenborgians on Soulless Men
- Overpowering fright, grief, despair
- A violent attack of sickness
- Excessive sensuality
- Obsessing Agents:
- Elementaries (earth-bound disembodied human souls),
- Elementals (nature spirits)
- Adepts of white magic are able, but not willing to obsess
- People may be temporarily laid open to the influence of spirits passing by
- People’s forms sometimes may be permanently obsessed
- Entities That Attempt to Dis-Ensoul a Human Form
- The Elementary
- Madame Blavatsky on the Brothers of the Shadow
- Charles W. Leadbeater on the Astral Form of a Depraved Person Who Commits Suicide or Dies Suddenly
- Shades, aka Ghosts, Spooks, or Kama Rupas
- Kama Loka
- Kama Rupas
- Piśācas (probably by this is meant the Elementary, described above)
- Charles Leadbeater on Mean Ghosts
- Vitalized Shells
- The Elementary
- What Happens When People Live Their Lives Without Relating to Their Souls?
- Can People Who Live Truly Depraved Lives Become Vampires?
- Can People Who Have Led Depraved Lives Re-Incarnate as Soulless Beings in Human Form?
- The Malevolent Walk-in
- Annie Besant on the Reincarnated, Soulless Man: Is This What We Term the Antisocial Personality?
I’ve been researching some occult lore from the School of Theosophy on the possibility that some people, apparently human, are actually ‘soulless’. This has to do with my research on antisocial personalities (which see). Here are some passages I found interesting. My comments will be in blue font.
If more Theosophical teachings, see “Books on Theosophy,” http://wp.me/p2Rkym-5ja
SWEDENBORGIANS ON SOULLESS MEN
This section is about human bodies that are not ensouled … The Soul may be hovering nearby, or it may have abandoned the human form it once inhabited, and sought to further its learning through other corporeal or noncorporeal experiences.
“Swedenborgians believe and arcane science teaches that the abandonment of the living body by the soul frequently occurs, and that we encounter every day, in every condition of life, such living corpses.
“Various causes, among them:
- overpowering fright, grief, despair,
- [This might relate to a severe instance of Soul wounding, or a condition of posttraumatic stress disorder … in this case the body vehicles might be healed eventually, and so the Soul might be standing aside, loving and protecting the body vehicles until they might be healed enough for ‘ensoulment’ to once more occur.
- There is precedent in this notion in earlier readings I’ve done on ensoulment (1) of the human infant, which apparently doesn’t occur until the Soul itself, as well as body vehicles of the fetus are sufficiently prepared for ensoulment]
- a violent attack of sickness,
- [This ‘throwing out’ of the Soul as the result of violent illness might be temporary,
- as in the case of high fever and delirium (which is relieved when the temperature returns to normal),
- or of alcoholic or recreational drug intoxication (which may be remedied by detoxing),
- or of alcohol withdrawal and delirium tremens (2),
- or of withdrawal from recreational drugs,
- or of other imbalance of brain chemicals, which may be remedied through psychotropic medicines
- or of the coma that precedes death (after which the Soul awakens to the afterlife)
- Or it might be permanent,
- as in the case of senile dementia, (3)
- or severe brain damage through accident (4) or ingestion of toxins that permanently and severely damage the brain.
- [This ‘throwing out’ of the Soul as the result of violent illness might be temporary,
- or excessive sensuality may bring this about.
- [In prior centuries this was held to be true.
- In my understanding, the lower quaternary is turned to negative energy by:
- a habit of pornography viewing, or
- a habit of frequenting sex workers, or
- undertaking sex work as an occupation, and
- And the energy field of the lower quaternary is weakened by frequent masturbation (many times a day, for instance).
- However, I don’t know whether excessive sensuality can lead to insanity. However, advanced syphilis can do so, and this may be the basis for the belief, in prior centuries, that excessive sensuality can cause insanity. (5)
- In my understanding, the lower quaternary is turned to negative energy by:
- [In prior centuries this was held to be true.
“The vacant carcass may be entered and inhabited by:
- the astral form of an adept sorcerer, or
- an elementary (an earth-bound disembodied human soul),
- or, very rarely, an elemental [nature spirit]. (6)
- Of course, an adept of white magic has the same power, but unless some very exceptional and great object is to be accomplished, he will never consent to pollute himself by occupying the body of an impure person. [On the other hand, an adept of black magic may attempt to ‘obsess’ another person. Search the category Obsession – possession on my website. –Alice]
“In insanity, the patient’s astral being:
- is either semi-paralyzed, bewildered, and subject to the influence of every passing spirit of any sort, [as in the temporary cases of dis-ensoulment mentioned above]
- or it has departed forever, and the body is taken possession of by some vampirish entity near its own disintegration, and clinging desperately to earth, whose sensual pleasures it may enjoy for a brief season longer by this expedient.” (7)
ENTITIES THAT ATTEMPT TO DIS-ENSOUL A HUMAN FORM
Apparently there are three such entities:
- The elementary (the astral form of a depraved person who has committed suicide or died suddenly (as in the case of capital punishment or execution)
- The ghost of a departed person (probably a very mean departed person), and
- The vitalized shell (the shell of a person’s astral form, stepped into by a malevolent nature spirit).
Here is more on each of them …
Madame Blavatsky on the Brothers of the Shadow
“Pythagoras taught that the entire universe is one vast system of mathematically correct combinations. Plato shows the deity geometrizing. The world is sustained by the same law of equilibrium and harmony upon which it was built.
“The centripetal force could not manifest itself without the centrifugal in the harmonious revolutions of the spheres; all forms are the product of this dual force in nature.
“Thus, to illustrate our case, we may designate the spirit as the centrifugal, and the soul as the centripetal, spiritual energies. When in perfect harmony, both forces produce one result; break or damage the centripetal motion of the earthly soul tending toward the centre which attracts it; arrest its progress by clogging it with a heavier weight of matter than it can bear, and the harmony of the whole, which was its life, is destroyed.
“Individual life can only be continued if sustained by this two-fold force. The least deviation from harmony damages it; when it is destroyed beyond redemption the forces separate and the form is gradually annihilated.
“After the death of the depraved and the wicked, arrives the critical moment. If during life the ultimate and desperate effort of the inner-self to reunite itself with the faintly-glimmering ray of its divine parent is neglected; if this ray is allowed to be more and more shut out by the thickening crust of matter, the soul, once freed from the body, follows its earthly attractions, and is magnetically drawn into and held within the dense fogs of the material atmosphere.
“Then it begins to sink lower and lower, until it finds itself, when returned to consciousness, in what the ancients termed Hades. The annihilation of such a soul is never instantaneous; it may last centuries, perhaps; for nature never proceeds by jumps and starts, and the astral soul being formed of elements, the law of evolution must bide its time. Then begins the fearful law of compensation, the Yin-youan of the Buddhists.
“This class of spirits are called the ‘terrestrial’ or ‘earthly elementary,’ in contradistinction to the other classes, as we have shown in the introductory chapter.
“In the East they are known as the ‘Brothers of the Shadow.’ Cunning, low, vindictive, and seeking to retaliate their sufferings upon humanity, they become, until final annihilation, vampires, [see Vampires below] ghouls, and prominent actors.
“These are the leading ‘stars’ on the great spiritual stage of ‘materialization,’ [see Materialization below] which phenomena they perform with the help of the more intelligent of the genuine-born ‘elemental’ creatures, which hover around and welcome them with delight in their own spheres. Henry Kunrath, the great German kabalist, has on a plate of his rare work, Amphitheatri Sapientiae AEternae, representations of the four classes of these human ‘elementary spirits.’ Once past the threshold of the sanctuary of initiation, once that an adept has lifted the ‘Veil of Isis,’ the mysterious and jealous goddess, he has nothing to fear; but till then he is in constant danger.” (8)
Charles W. Leadbeater on the Astral Form of a Depraved Person Who Commits Suicide or Dies Suddenly
“It will be readily understood that a man who is torn from physical life hurriedly while in full health and strength, whether by accident or suicide, finds himself upon the astral plane under conditions differing considerably from those which surround one who dies either from old age or from disease.
“In the latter case the hold of earthly desires upon the entity is more or less weakened, and probably the very grossest particles are already got rid of, so that the Kâmarûpa will most likely form itself on the sixth or fifth subdivision of  the Kâmaloka, or perhaps even higher; the principles have been gradually prepared for separation, and the shock is therefore not so great.
“In the case of the accidental death or suicide none of these preparations have taken place, and the withdrawal of the principles from their physical encasement has been very aptly compared to the tearing of the stone out of an unripe fruit; a great deal of the grossest kind of astral matter still clings around the personality, which is consequently held in the seventh or lowest subdivision of the Kâmaloka.
“This has already been described as anything but a pleasant abiding-place, yet it is by no means the same for all those who are compelled for a time to inhabit it. Those victims of sudden death whose earth-lives have been pure and noble have no affinity for this plane, and the time of their sojourn upon it is passed, to quote from an early Letter on this subject, either ‘in happy ignorance and full oblivion, or in a state of quiet slumber, a sleep full of rosy dreams’.
“But on the other hand, if their earth-lives have been low and brutal, selfish and sensual, they will, like the suicides, be conscious to the fullest extent in this undesirable region; and they are liable to develop into terribly evil entities.
“Inflamed with all kinds of horrible appetites which they can no longer satisfy directly now they are without a physical body, they gratify their loathsome passions vicariously through a medium or any sensitive person whom they can obsess; and they take a devilish delight in using all the arts of delusion which the astral plane puts in their power in order to lead others into the same excesses which have proved so fatal to themselves.
“Quoting again from the same letter:—’These are the Pisâchas the incubi and succubæ of mediæval writers—demons of thirst and gluttony, of lust and avarice, of intensified craft, wickedness and cruelty, provoking their victims to horrible crimes, and revelling in their commission’ .
“From this class and the last are drawn the tempters—the devils of ecclesiastical literature; but their power fails utterly before purity of mind and purpose; they can do nothing with a man unless he has first encouraged in himself the vices into which they seek to draw him.
“One whose psychic sight has been opened will often see crowds of these unfortunate creatures hanging round butchers’ shops, public-houses, or other even more disreputable places—wherever the gross influences in which they delight are to be found, and where they encounter men and women still in the flesh who are like-minded with themselves.
“For such an entity as one of these to meet with a medium with whom he is in affinity is indeed a terrible misfortune; not only does it enable him to prolong enormously his dreadful life in Kâmaloka but it renews for perhaps an indefinite period his power to generate evil Karma, and so prepare for himself a future incarnation of the most degraded character, besides running the risk of losing a large portion or even the whole of the lower Manas.
“On this lowest level of the astral plane he must stay at least as long as his earthly life would have lasted if it had not been prematurely cut short; and if he is fortunate enough not to meet with a sensitive through whom his passions can be vicariously gratified, the unfulfilled desires will gradually burn themselves out, and the suffering caused in the process will probably go far towards working off the evil Karma of the past life.
“The position of the suicide is further complicated by the fact that his rash act has enormously diminished the power of the higher Ego to withdraw its lower portion into itself, and therefore has exposed him to manifold and great additional dangers:
- but it must be remembered that the guilt of suicide differs considerably according to its circumstances, from the morally blameless act of Seneca or Socrates 
- through all degrees
- down to the heinous crime of the wretch who takes his own life in order to escape from the entanglements into which his villainy has brought him,
- and of course the position after death varies accordingly. [bullets are mine. –Alice]
“It should be noted that this class, as well as
- the shades [aka ghosts, spooks, kama rupa –Alice]
- and the vitalized shells [see below –Alice], are all what may be called minor vampires; that is to say, whenever they have the opportunity they prolong their existence by draining away the vitality from human beings whom they find themselves able to influence. [bullets are mine. –Alice]
“This is why both medium and sitters are often so weak and exhausted after a physical séance. A student of occultism is taught how to guard himself from their attempts, but without that knowledge it is difficult for one who puts himself in their way to avoid being more or less laid under contribution by them.” (9)
SHADES, AKA GHOSTS, SPOOKS, OR KAMA RUPAS
When people die, their astral forms go to a place called Kamaloka:
“Kamaloka is a semi-material plane, subjective and invisible to humans, where disembodied ‘personalities’, the astral forms, called Kama-rupa remain until they fade out from it by the complete exhaustion of the effects of the mental impulses that created these eidolons of human and animal passions and desires. It is associated with Hades of ancient Greeks and the Amenti of the Egyptians, the land of Silent Shadows; a division of the first group of the Trailokya.” (10)
Materialization. Note that kamaloka (described above) is a semi-material place, and that its inhabitants, kama rupas (ghosts, spooks, described below) are also semi-material. Because of this, ghosts can have an effect on the physical or material plane of existence, under ideal conditions. This is the basis of the phenomenon known as materialization, where, for instance, a ghost may become visible to a person who is in physical form. Or, a person with psychic abilities may materialize and object, which slowly fades from view.
Kama Rupas. “Metaphysically and in our esoteric philosophy [the Kama Rupa] is the subjective form created through the mental and physical desires and thoughts in connection with things of matter, by all sentient beings: a form which survives the death of its body.
[I think of the Kama Rupa as the ‘dark body’ in our Body of Light … the etheric net tangles or Soul wounding … termed by others karmic miasmic patterning, or morphogenetic field distortions, or samskaras.]
“After that death, three of the seven ‘principles’ — or, let us say, planes of the senses and consciousness on which the human instincts and ideation act in turn — viz.,
- the body, its astral prototype and physical vitality, being of no further use, remain on earth;
- the three higher principles, grouped into one, merge into a state of Devachan (q. v.), in which state the Higher Ego will remain until the hour for a new reincarnation arrives, and
- the eidolon [shade, ghost, spook, astral form] of the ex-personality is left alone in its new abode.
“Here the pale copy [the ghost] of the man that was, vegetates for a period of time, the duration of which is variable according to the element of materiality which is left in it, and which is determined by the past life of the defunct. Bereft as it is of its higher mind, spirit and physical senses, if left alone to its own senseless devices, it will gradually fade out and disintegrate.
“But if forcibly drawn back into the terrestrial sphere, whether by the passionate desires and appeals of the surviving friends or by regular necromantic practices — one of the most pernicious of which is mediumship — the ‘spook’ may prevail for a period greatly exceeding the span of the natural life of its body.
“Once the Kama Rupa has learnt the way back to living human bodies, it becomes a vampire feeding on the vitality of those who are so anxious for its company. In India these Eidolons are called Pisachas, — and are much dreaded.” [I feel certain this last is a description of the kama rupa of a person who has lead a very depraved life, and not of the ghost of an ordinary human being.] (11)
Piśācas. [probably by this is meant the Elementary, described above] “Piśācas like darkness and traditionally are depicted as haunting cremation grounds along with other monsters like bhutas [ghosts] and vetālas (12). Piśācas have the power to assume different forms at will, and may also become invisible. They feed on human energies. Sometimes, they possess human beings and alter their thoughts, and the victims are afflicted with a variety of maladies and abnormalities like insanity. Certain mantras are supposed to cure such afflicted persons, and drive away the Piśāca which may be possessing that particular human being. In order to keep the Piśāca away, they are given their share of offerings during certain religious functions and festivals.” (13)
Charles Leadbeater on Mean Ghosts
According to Charles W. Leadbeater, there are different kinds of ghosts: churchyard ghosts, apparitions of the dying, haunted localities, and family ghosts. I feel the type of shade that might attempt dis-ensoulment of a living person is likely to be that which he describes under “Haunted Localities”:
“Apparitions at the spot where some crime was committed are usually thought-forms projected by the criminal, who, whether living or dead, but most especially when dead, is perpetually thinking over again and again the circumstances of his action; and since these thoughts are naturally specially vivid in his mind on the anniversary of the original crime, it is often only on that occasion that the artificial elementals [vivified thought-forms, which have a certain, temporary life of their own] he creates are strong enough to materialize themselves to ordinary sight—a fact which accounts for the periodicity of some manifestations of this class.
“Another point in reference to such phenomena is, that wherever any tremendous mental disturbance has taken place, wherever overwhelming terror, pain, sorrow, hatred, or indeed any kind of intense passion has been felt, an impression of so very marked a character has been made upon the astral light that a person with even the faintest glimmer of psychic faculty cannot but be deeply impressed by it, and it would need but a slight temporary increase of sensibility to enable him to visualize the entire scene—to see the event in all its detail apparently taking place before his eyes—and in such a case he would of course report that the place was haunted, and that he had seen a ghost. [This sort of vision has unrolled before my startled eyes on several occasions. –Alice]
“Indeed, people who are as yet unable to see psychically under any circumstances are frequently very unpleasantly impressed when visiting such places as we have mentioned; there are many, for example, who feel uncomfortable when passing the site of Tyburn Tree, or cannot stay in the Chamber of Horrors at Madame Tussaud’s, though they may not be in the least aware that their discomfort is due to the dreadful impressions in the astral light which surround places and objects redolent of horror and crime, and to the presence of the loathsome astral entities which always swarm about such centres.” (14)
“This entity ought not, strictly speaking, to be classified under the head ‘human’ at all, since it is only its outer vesture, the passive, senseless shell, that was once an appanage of humanity; such life, intelligence, desire, and will as it may possess are those of the artificial-elemental animating it, and that, though in truth a creation of man’s evil thought is not itself human. It will therefore perhaps be better to deal with it more fully under its appropriate class among the artificial entities, as its nature and  genesis will be more readily comprehensible by the time that part of our subject is reached.
“Let it suffice here to mention that it is always a malevolent being – a true tempting demon, (6) whose evil influence is limited only by the extent of its power. Like the shade, it is frequently used to further the horrible purposes of the Voodoo and Obeah forms of magic. Some writers have spoken of it under the name ‘elementary,’ but as that title has at one time or another been used for almost every variety of post-mortem entity, it has become so vague and meaningless that it is perhaps better to avoid it.” (15)
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE LIVE THEIR LIVES WITHOUT RELATING TO THEIR SOULS?
There is a passage in Isis Unveiled under the misleading subheading “Swedenborgians on Soul-Death.” To my mind, this is a warning that dis-ensoulment that may take place because the people described live their lives without relating to their Souls.
I see this as a warning about a temporary state of putting Soul evolution on hold for the current lifetime, but far less severe than the instances described in the following section …
“… while the spiritualists and other adherents of Christianity have little if any perception of this fact of the possible death and obliteration of the human personality by the separation of the immortal part from the perishable, the Swedenborgians fully comprehend it. One of the most respected ministers of the New Church, the Rev. Chauncey Giles, D.D., of New York, recently elucidated the subject in a public discourse as follows:
“‘Physical death, or the death of the body, was a provision of the divine economy for the benefit of man, a provision by means of which he attained the higher ends of his being. But there is another death which is the interruption of the divine order and the destruction of every human element in man’s nature, and every possibility of human happiness. This is the spiritual death, which takes place before the dissolution of the body.
“”There may be a vast development of man’s natural mind without that development being accompanied by a particle of love of God, or of unselfish love of man.’
- “When one falls into a love of self and love of the world, with its pleasures, losing the divine love of God and of the neighbor, he falls from life to death.
- “The higher principles which constitute the essential elements of his humanity perish, and he lives only on the natural plane of his faculties.
- “Physically he exists, spiritually he is dead. To all that pertain to the higher and the only enduring phase of existence he is as much dead as his body becomes dead to all the activities, delights, and sensations of the world when the spirit has left it. This spiritual death results from disobedience of the laws of spiritual life, which is followed by the same penalty as the disobedience of the laws of the natural life.
- “But the spiritually dead have still their delights; they have their intellectual endowments and power, and intense activities.
- “All the animal delights are theirs, and to multitudes of men and women these constitute the highest ideal of human happiness.
- “The tireless pursuit of riches, of the amusements and entertainments of social life; the cultivation of graces of manner, of taste in dress, of social preferment, of scientific distinction, intoxicate and enrapture these dead-alive;
but, the eloquent preacher remarks, ‘these creatures, with all their graces, rich attire, and brilliant accomplishments, are dead in the eye of the Lord and the angels, and when measured by the only true and immutable standard have no more genuine life than skeletons whose flesh has turned to dust.’
“A high development of the intellectual faculties does not imply spiritual and true life. Many of our greatest scientists are but animate corpses — they have no spiritual sight because their spirits have left them.
“So we might go through all ages, examine all occupations, weigh all human attainments, and investigate all forms of society, and we would find these spiritually dead everywhere.” (16)
CAN PEOPLE WHO LIVE TRULY DEPRAVED LIVES BECOME VAMPIRES?
It seems there’s a possibility that a person who has led a truly depraved life may revitalize his own dead body after death. I call this far fetched, but here is the rationale, which relates as a half-way step into the twilight zone of the Elementary, which perpetrates acts of evil from the semi-material astral realm upon humans still in physical form …
“All readers of Theosophical literature are familiar with the idea that it is possible for a man to live a life so absolutely degraded and selfish, so utterly wicked and brutal, that the whole of his lower Manas may become entirely immeshed in Kâma [desire], and finally separated from its spiritual source in the higher Ego. [This would make his astral form like the kama rupa or ghost of the afterlife; and the earthly, physical form would act out this ghostliness, devoid of the higher principles. –Alice]
“Some students even seem to think that such an occurrence is quite a common one, and that we may meet scores of such ‘soulless men,’ as they have been called, in the street every day of our lives, but this, happily, is untrue.
“To attain the appalling preeminence in evil which thus involves the entire loss of a personality and the weakening of the developing individuality behind, a man must stifle every gleam of unselfishness or spirituality, and must have absolutely no redeeming point whatever; and when we remember how often, even in the worst of villains, there is to be found something not wholly bad, we shall realize that the abandoned personalities must always be a very small minority.
“Still, comparatively few though they be, they do exist, and it is from their ranks that the still rarer vampire is drawn. The lost entity would very soon after death find himself unable to stay in Kâmaloka [see below], and would be irresistibly drawn in full consciousness into ‘his own place,’ the mysterious eighth sphere (17), there slowly to disintegrate after experiences best left undescribed.
“If, however, he perishes by suicide or sudden death, he may under certain circumstances, especially if he knows something of black magic, hold himself back from that awful fate by a death in life scarcely less awful—the ghastly existence  of the vampire. Since the eighth sphere cannot claim him until after the death of the body, he preserves it in a kind of cataleptic trance by the horrible expedient of the transfusion into it of blood drawn from other human beings by his semi-materialized Kâmarûpa, and thus postpones his final destiny by the commission of wholesale murder.” (18)
[Note that his Kâmarûpa is semi-materialized, and that the Kamaloka (see below) is a semi-material plane. In everyday parlance, the Kâmarûpa is termed a ‘ghost’. This semi-material quality may explain why so many people who are otherwise not clair may experience a vision of a ghost, either of a departed person dear to them, or of a stranger in a graveyard.]
CAN PEOPLE WHO HAVE LED DEPRAVED LIVES RE-INCARNATE AS SOULLESS BEINGS IN HUMAN FORM?
The Malevolent Walk-In
Here’s one way described in the occult literature: Their kama rupa can seize upon the body of a baby, or that of a person weakened in one of the ways described at the beginning of this blog. In that way their slowly decaying kama rupa can obsess or possess a human form.
I’ve not seen an explanation as to what becomes of the Soul that originally inhabited this body, but my own feeling is that the Soul may stay nearby for quite some time, in the event it may once more return to the body. It’s also possible that it may be called away, to another incarnation.
In the event the occupation is temporary, it is termed obsession. In the event it turns out to be permanent, it is termed possession, or the ‘walk-in’. Note that obsession/possession can be occasioned by non-human beings as well as human beings, and the intention may be either benevolent or, in the case in point, malevolent.
Annie Besant on the Reincarnated, Soulless Man:
Is This What We Term the Antisocial Personality?
In “The Seven Principles of Man” (1892) Annie Besant proposes a pretty scary thing: The reincarnation of a person who has lost his Higher Principles through acts of depravity in a prior lifetime. This person, as she describes it, is but a cunning animal in human form …
“There remains the third possibility for Kâma-Manas, [desire-mind] to which we must now turn our attention, the fate spoken of earlier as ‘terrible in its consequences, which may befall the kâmic [desire] principle’.
“It may break away from its source made one with Kâma [desire] instead of with the higher Manas [mind]. This is fortunately, a rare event, as rare at one pole of human life as the complete re-union with the higher Manas is rare at the other. But still the possibility remains and must be stated.
“The personality may be so strongly controlled by Kâma that, in the struggle between the kâmic and manasic elements, the victory may remain wholly with the former. The lower Manas may become so enslaved that its essence may become, as it were, frayed thinner and thinner by the constant rub and strain, until at last persistent yielding to the promptings of desire bears its inevitable fruit, and the slender link which unites the higher to the lower Manas, the ‘silver thread that binds it to the Master’ (aka ‘silver cord’), snaps in two. Then, during earth-life, the Lower Quaternary is wrenched away from the Triad to which it was linked, and the Higher Nature is severed wholly from the lower. The human being is rent in twain, the brute has broken itself free, and it goes forth unbridled, carrying with it the reflections of that Manasic light which should have been its guide through the desert of life.
“A more dangerous brute it is than its fellows of the unevolved animal world, just because of these fragments in it of the higher mentality of man. Such a being, human in form but brute in nature, human in appearance but without human [t]ruth, or love, or justice – such a one may now and then be met with in the haunts of men, putrescent while still living, a thing to shudder at with deepest, if hopeless, compassion. What is its fate after the funeral knell has tolled?
“Ultimately, there is the perishing of the personality that has thus broken away from the principles that can alone give it immortality. But a period of persistence lies before it.
“The Kâma-Rûpa [desire body] of such a one is an entity of terrible potency, and it has this unique peculiarity, that it is able to reincarnate in the world of men. It is not a mere ‘spook’ on the way to disintegration; it has retained, entangled in its coils , too much of the manasic element to permit of such natural dissipation in space.
“It is sufficiently an independent entity, lurid instead of radiant, with manasic flame rendered foul instead of purifying, as to be able to take to itself [a] garment of flesh once more and dwell as man with men. Such a man – if the word may indeed be applied to the mere human shell with brute interior – passes through a period of earth-life the natural foe of all who are still normal in their humanity.
“With no instincts save those of the animal, driven only by passion, never even by emotion, with a cunning that no brute can rival, a deliberate wickedness that plans evil in fashion unknown to the mere frankly natural impulses of the animal world, the reincarnated Kâma-Rûpic entity touches ideal vileness. Such soil the page of human history as the monsters of iniquity that startle us now and again into a wondering cry, ‘Is this a human being?’
“Sinking lower with each successive incarnation, the evil force gradually wears itself out, and such a personality perishes separated from the source of life. It finally disintegrates, to be worked up into other forms of living things, but as a separate existence it is lost. It is a bead broken off the thread of life, and the Immortal Ego that incarnated in that personality has lost the experience of that incarnation, has reaped no harvest from that life-sowing.
“Its ray has brought nothing back, its lifework for that birth has been a total and complete failure, whereof nothing remains to weave into the fabric of its own eternal Self.” (19)
In love, light and joy,
I Am of the Stars
[paragraphing and bulleting in the above texts are often mine. –Alice]
- “Tales of an Incarnating Soul,” http://www.soul-guidance.com/houseofthesun/talesincarnatingsoul.htm#The_Nine_Steps,_History_of_Birth_and_Rebirth,_
- “Ensoulment,” Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensoulment
(2) See “Delirium tremens,” Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens
(3) See “Dementia” [i.e., senile dementia], Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia
(4) For brain damage, see the case of Phineas Gage, who survived an accident where an iron rod was driven through his head, but then had a changed personality: “Phineas Gage,” Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
(5) See “Syphilis” in “STDs You Should Know,” http://www.acphd.org/std/stds-you-should-know.aspx
(6) Elementals as Nature Spirits. I believe Madame Blavatsky is using the word elemental to refer to nature spirits. See, for example:
“‘… Well, then, can you conceive that space, which is the infinite itself, is alone a waste, is alone lifeless, is less useful to the one design of universal being . . . than the peopled leaf, than the swarming globule? The microscope shows you the creatures on the leaf; no mechanical tube is yet invented to discover the nobler and more gifted things that hover in the illimitable air. Yet between these last and man is a mysterious and terrible affinity. . . . But first, to penetrate this barrier, the soul with which you listen must be sharpened by intense enthusiasm, purified from all earthly desires. . . . When thus prepared, science can be brought to aid it; the sight itself may be rendered more subtile, the nerves more acute, the spirit more alive and outward, and the element itself — the air, the space — may be made, by certain secrets of the higher chemistry, more palpable and clear. And this, too, is not magic as the credulous call it; as I have so often said before, magic (a science that violates nature) exists not; it is but the science by which nature can be controlled.
“‘Now, in space there are millions of beings, not literally spiritual, for they have all, like the animalcula unseen by the naked eye, certain forms of matter, though matter so delicate, air-drawn, and subtile, that it is, as it were, but a film, a gossamer, that clothes the spirit. . . . Yet, in truth, these races differ most widely . . . some of surpassing wisdom, some of horrible malignity; some hostile as fiends to men, others gentle as messengers between earth and heaven. . . . Amid the dwellers of the threshold is one, too, surpassing in malignity and hatred all her tribe; one whose eyes have paralyzed the bravest, and whose power increases over the spirit precisely in proportion to its fear.’
“Such is the insufficient sketch of elemental beings void of divine spirit, given by one whom many with reason believed to know more than he was prepared to admit in the face of an incredulous public.”
–from “Isis Unveiled,” Vol 1, pages 285-286, by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (1877) … public domain. The text in single quotes is from Sir E. Bulwer-Lytton’s book “Zanoni.” The paragraphing is mine. –Alice
There is a good deal more on nature spirits, albeit of a far less dramatic nature, in “The Astral Plane: Its Scenery, Inhabitants and Phenomena,” by C. W. Leadbeater, http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21080/21080-h/21080-h.htm#PHENOMENA … see “3. Nature Spirits of All Kinds,” in “II. Non-human”
(7) From “A Summary of the Principles of Magic,” in “Isis Unveiled: A Master-key to the Mysteries of Ancient and Modern Science and Theology,” Vol. 2, page 589, by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (1877), http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/isis/iu-hp.htm … public domain [paragraphing and bullets are mine –Alice]
(8) From “The earthly elementaries” in “The ‘Brothers of the Shadow'” in “Isis Unveiled: A Master-key to the Mysteries of Ancient and Modern Science and Theology,” Vol. 1, page 319, by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (1877) … public domain [paragraphing is mine –Alice]
(9) From “7. The Suicide, or victim of sudden death,” in The Project Gutenberg EBook of “The Astral Plane: Its Scenery, Inhabitants and Phenomena,” by C. W. Leadbeater. This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net … http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21080/21080-h/21080-h.htm
(10) from “Kama,” in Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0
(11) Excerpted from H.P. Blavatsky’s Glossary. Added to The Key to Theosophy (1890 Second Edition). This would be public domain because it was published in 1890. From http://blavatskyarchives.com/constitutionofahumanbeing.htm [paragraphing is mine –Alice]
(12) The Vetala. “The vetala are defined as spirits inhabiting cadavers and charnel grounds. These corpses may be used as vehicles for movement (as they no longer decay while so inhabited); but a vetala may also leave the body at will.” –from Vetala, Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0
(13) from Piśāca, Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0 [paragraphing is mine. –Alice]
(14) From “Phenomena” in The Project Gutenberg EBook of “The Astral Plane: Its Scenery, Inhabitants and Phenomena,” by C. W. Leadbeater. This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net … http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21080/21080-h/21080-h.htm
(15) Ibid., “2. Dead, 6. The Vitalized Shell”
(16) From “Swedenborgians on Soul-Death” in “Isis Unveiled: A Master-key to the Mysteries of Ancient and Modern Science and Theology,” Vol. 1, page 317, by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (1877) … http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/isis/iu-hp.htm … public domain [paragraphing and bullets are mine –Alice]
(17) See “The Eighth Sphere” in “Moon,” in Theosophy Wiki, http://theosophy.wiki/w-en/index.php?title=Moon#The_Eighth_Sphere … In Theosophy, the Eighth Sphere is apparently a dead end from which there is no return.
Note that “The Law of One: The Ra Material” speaks of the possibility of a small ‘harvest’ of Souls from Earth to a fourth density negative planet as the Ascension unfolds. See http://www.lawofone.info/results.php?s=11 … sections 11.6 through 11.16
As I understand it, a fourth density negative planet is a hellworld planet with no people on it in physical form. The text describes the fate of Adolf Hitler, Taras Bulba, Genghis Khan, and Rasputin; these are people whom one might imagine to vie among the contenders for extreme ‘service-to-self’ category. Ra’s answers are interesting:
- Adolf Hitler, he says, is undergoing a healing process in middle astral planes, which I take to be the Purgatory worlds of traditional theology.
- The other three were transferred to fourth density service-to-self planets (hellworld planets). Genghis Khan, Ra says, went to the Orion group; see section 11.15 for the work he is doing there. As to Taras Bulba and Rasputin, one transited to Cassiopeia, and the other to Southern Cross.
For more on Hellworlds, see “Gravitational Sinkholes and Upliftments to Do with Experiencing the Astral Realms While in Form,” by Alice, http://wp.me/p2Rkym-74N
(18) from “8. The Vampire and Werewolf.” in The Project Gutenberg EBook of “The Astral Plane: Its Scenery, Inhabitants and Phenomena,” by C. W. Leadbeater. This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net … http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21080/21080-h/21080-h.htm [paragraphing is mine –Alice]
(19) from “Manas in Activity,” in “The Seven Principles of Man,” by Annie Besant, 1892, presumed to be in the public domain because it was published more than 100 years ago. [paragraphing is mine. –Alice]
Except where otherwise noted, this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
soulless men, depravity, reincarnation, afterlife, astral plane, kama loka, kama rupa, ghosts, vampires, vitalized shells, nature spirits, pisacas, Charles Leadbeater, Theosophy, suicide, sudden death, Madame Blavatsky, Brothers of the Shadow, the elementary, insanity, white magic, spiritual adepts, elementals, soul evolution, soul devolution, sorcerers, drug use, alcoholism, Swedenborgians, obsession, possession, walk-ins, posttraumatic stress disorder, fright, grief, despair, soul wounding, dark body, light body, psychology, psychiatry, antisocial personality, vampires, lust, excessive sensuality, delirium tremens, dementia, syphilis, cruelty, Adolf Hitler, silver cord, silver thread,